[Bf-viewport] Blender 2.8 Viewport Development

Carlo Andreacchio carlo at convergen.com.au
Wed Sep 28 01:18:38 CEST 2016

Hi all, nice work with laying the framework for the viewport development.

I have a little bit of feedback on the blog post.

> Groundbreak to illustrate how wireframes are a poor choice for some (if
not all) tasks

I understand that this is under the character modelling part of the
document, however there was no other area for modelling.

Underneath under shading section of the blog post, I do not see a pure
wireframe mode, there is solid wireframe overlays, and depth wires (which I
assume is wireframe mode but it clips off the wires behind it from the
faces). Removing wireframe mode hinder the experience of a archviz /
infrastructure viz artist.

Wireframe is essential for tracing out images / pdfs which contain plans
(of buildings / roads / pathways etc.etc.etc). In an ideal world the plans
would be all in vector formats, but from real world deliveries, most of the
time they are flattened pdfs.

In addition to plan modelling, we also sometimes receive models created by
automatic means (lidar / dem / etc.etc.etc), and sometimes models from
programs that do not export nicely. These models usually come with internal
faces, overlapping faces and other craziness which is not blenders fault.
Wireframe is essential to cleaning up these meshes in preparation for use
for render.

Talking with our other artists, they all agree that its great that blender
is trying to change up the workflow & excited for the new options they are
suggesting, but wireframe mode is a modelling essential for archviz.

It would be great to get the developer's thoughts on this and keep the
discussion open.

Kind Regards
Carlo