[Bf-viewport] Updates for the weeks of June 20th - July 18th

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 21:50:57 CEST 2016

Since last time I shared GL redesign docs with the larger development
community. Revised based on feedback from people here on the viewport list.
So thanks!
https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2016-June/047455.html

And yes the AMD thing! I've been building that relationship for months and
am grateful for this opportunity. Thanks to them I'll be able to work on
Blender 2.8 / Viewport / OpenGL / Vulkan topics full time from now through
December. After that we'll see :)

Not sure if already mentioned: I wrote a new immediate mode work-alike in C
that works well in a little prototype app (using GL 3.2 core profile). This
week I'll be testing and refining based on how it fits into Blender's
existing drawing code. Once that is ready I'll send out a call for
assistance.

It’s important to migrate Blender to OpenGL 3.2 core profile early. That is
our target for the 2.8 release, and getting there early avoids time and
effort spent on temporary workarounds. So during the next 2 months or so
I'll focus on tasks that get us closer to modern GL -- like replacing
glBegin/End with the new work-alike, replacing legacy matrix stacks, etc.
Always replacing with something as good or better!

Mike Erwin
musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 12:14 PM, Mitchell Stokes <mogurijin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello devs,
>
> It has been about a month since I last checked in, so, hopefully, that
means there will be lots of interesting things to report on (e.g., AMD
sponsoring Mike Erwin's work on the viewport). Any other interesting
viewport updates for the weeks of June 20th to July 18th? Any plans for the
upcoming week? I will be aggregating information on the Viewport Reports
wiki page[1].