[Bf-viewport] [Bf-committers] Engine API

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 11:52:09 CET 2016

Hi Mitchell,

Let me add more details on top of what Ton said.

The way I see, an engine will be able to interact with the viewport in two ways:

(1) deliver a complete rendered image (similar to Cycles preview), in
an isolated buffer, context, ...

(2) make use of the render engine API and provide shaders for the
nodes, and other settings so that the drawing manager can take care of
the entire drawing.

What BRE is doing is interesting, but it seems very different to me.
And although this level of integration with external engines can be
interesting, it is not a goal of the viewport project - giving our
limited resources and priorities.

All the best,
Dalai
--