[Bf-viewport] Preliminary slides

Daniel Stokes kupomail at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 08:41:07 CEST 2015

I do not feel that deferred shading is a good fit for the viewport, mostly
for the same reasons that Antony pointed out already. Something using a
light buffer (inferred lighting/deferred lighting/light prepass) or
per-pixel linked-list lighting would likely work better. Per-pixel
linked-lists is basically an optimization on forward rendering, so it would
be very compatible with the way things work already, but unfortunately it
requires (or is at least made a lot simpler by) computer shaders. This
would make the feature only available to users with OpenGL 4+ hardware.

As a long term goal, I would love to see a user be able to set up their own
deferred rendering if they wanted to do so. In general I would like
complete control of the render pipeline. This would require some revamping
of the composting nodes by giving them some of the viewport/GLSL love.

Regards,
Daniel