[Bf-viewport] OpenGL low level shader API proposal

Martijn Berger martijn.berger at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 12:54:16 CET 2015

Hi Mike, Brecht, Jason, Anthony and others

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 12:34 AM, Mike Erwin <significant.bit at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Re: Uniform Buffer Objects -- Compatibility with GL 2.1 is a temporary
> concern, so anything we do there should be minimal and marked for future
> removal.
>
> Is this the case? i would make the argument that we might want to try and
keep OpenGL ES 2.0 and OpenGL 2.1 for as long as possible.
Especially on windows keeping ES 2.0 + what ANGLE exposes could really help
us have a good fallback.
On android and IOS GL ES 2.0 / 3.0 could allow us to run blender there. And
even compile blender for Google's NaCl stuf..

We should not do this regardless of the cost but we should not discard this
without seriously considering if this is feasible.