[Bf-vfx] Improving the 2D stabilization tool :: Problem with choice of pivot point

Ichthyostega prg at ichthyostega.de
Tue Aug 16 21:05:52 CEST 2016

On 16.08.2016 17:00, Sean Kennedy wrote:
> Congrats on getting this committed! Glad to see it!

yeah, this is good news. I'm really glad we made it in time for the 2.78
release. Also I'd like to thank Sergey for backing this move and for
all the work related to review and testing it!

> And looking forward to sorting out the actual problem of what point it is
> stabilizing around! I still feel like that needs to happen before this works
> as expected. I also like option (d) below, especially with being able to
> animate that point.

Indeed one of the most important things on my (personal) agenda.
But I should add that this is more likely something for the Blender-2.8 effort,
due to some API breakage. But anyway, all participants are urged to concentrate
on 2.8-Features right now. It is not even sure we get an 2.79 release at all.

Incidentally, you would be able to animate the pivot point in any of those
proposed settings. Just that values would be anchored differently, either
to the raw footage, or to the image cadre, to the averaged location/rotation
tracks or to the canvas.

One important thing I'll have to figure out is how to draw an overlay control
into the output (similar to the way the tracking markers are shown). So the user
can manipulate the pivot point more intuitively through click and drag.

Cheers
Hermann