[Bf-vfx] Color picker redesign, continued

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 06:08:22 CEST 2014

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Antony Riakiotakis <kalast at gmail.com> wrote:

> The solution I have chosen for the 2.71 version is to make sure all HSV
> values are in display space. This guarantees we always get the correct
> color, which can then be transformed back to the linear space.

I may be plain dense, but I wonder why HSV cannot be the naive HSV as
given at http://www.easyrgb.com/index.php?X=MATH&H=20?

It is rather naive, but on the upside, it is cross-colorspace
compatible, and more importantly, would seem to work absolutely fine
on scene referred values for V?

The alternate is to use the vastly more complex version which would
need to take the position of each primary into account per colorspace.
This seems ugly and needlessly complex, especially given the inherent
inaccuracy with human vision and an HSV model.

If the color_picker role is leveraged, the UI could be rather easily
laid out as per a typically 1D LUT perceptual transfer curve.

So internal scene referred linear values -> color_picker (or a more
appropriate label such as perceptual_ui) to lay out the UI element ->
invert back to correct linearized values -> output transform (often
matrix + transfer curve).

Is there an issue with this?

With respect,
TJS