[Bf-vfx] VFX related stuff that I think could be improved

Bartek Skorupa (priv) bartekskorupa at bartekskorupa.com
Sun Sep 8 20:32:49 CEST 2013

Transform controls:
After a second thought I'd agree that having separate node(s) for transformations is ok and yes, it makes the chain clearer.
However I still don't see anything wrong in ability to make those transformations directly in canvas having instant response to the performed action. If too much computing power is needed to render whole image that quickly, no problem: outline of the image could be drawn and render could go after finishing transformations. I mean something like "adaptive resolution" or so. Render fast what you can in "real time" even if in some cases it's limited to showing just outlines and then render the rest.

I also agree with the approach to opacity. That's right. It's not a transform property, so it should be separated from transformations themselves. In such case I'd say that it's not needed. Factors and alpha controls that we have right now are enough to do anything we need.

> I didn't understand what you mean with "the right place for adding masks should just be the compositor window"
I mean this:
Think about the moment when you decide that you need the mask. It's during compositing, right? I realize that masking is needed, so I want to add mask. The first thing that comes to my mind intuitively is that I need to add node for this and then control its properties, i.e. the shape of the mask,
So shift-A, mask (being all the time in compositing window/panel) and my canvas is automatically ready for creating this mask.
When I want to modify the mask I simply select the proper node and modify the mask defined by this node.
If I want to have new mask that is just a bit different than the existing one, I duplicate the node representing this mask and automatically have its copy.
I hope I made myself a bit clearer, but if not, please let me know, I'll try to explain it differently.

> I didn't get this ... Are you saying that Bezier Warp or mesh warp aren't useful because a simple distort node would be enough?
No. I mean that bezier or mesh warp are needed AND different approach to "movie distortion" node would be nice as well.
In this one paragraph I mentioned two different matters:
1. It would be great to have warping/reshaping possibilities.
2. When talking about "movie distortion" it should be possible to apply  it without having any movie clip in your file. If I have a movie clip I can use it, but if I don't, I'd like to be able to manually enter K1, K2 and K3 values in the node properties themselves.
Lens distortion node gives slightly different results than movie distortion node, so I'd like to have them both, but a bit better control over movie distortion.

Bartek Skorupa

Sent from my iPhone