[Bf-vfx] Focal length constraints usability

Joseph Mansfield sftrabbit at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 14:09:46 CEST 2013

Great feedback, thanks! In some ways I like the idea of having a separate
"estimated focal length", but in addition to the UI inflation problem, it
also might be confusing as to whether the estimated or real focal length
property is being used. Would the estimated focal length be used when
refinement is enabled? Or only when the constraint is enabled?

I definitely agree that the default values shouldn't be 0.0 and 0.0 - that
was a mistake! If you hover over the fields, it tells you the units they're
in, which match the units chosen for the focal length in the properties
shelf. Is this also confusing? We preferred this to having separate unit
selections for each shelf.

Sergey - is your suggestion with the clamping that if, for example, min and
max are 18mm and 24mm but the focal length is given as 26mm, it would first
move it into the range to 24mm before starting the solve?