[Bf-vfx] tracker constraints and camera reconstruction...

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 11:42:30 CEST 2013

We indeed do have some plans implementing constraint system for the camera
solver.

I'm not currently sure why plane would help a lot here, bundler shall
handle this case just nice. More important constraint is "depth" one.
Meaning you tell solver that this track is in front of another one. That
would prevent objects from being suddenly flipped.

As for spline-marked tracks, don't think it'd be any helpful for camera
solver but for sure better quality mask tracking (edge-tracker?) would be
nice to have.

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 2:40 AM, David Jeske <davidj at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Sergey Sharybin <sergey.vfx at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>>  Another usage of plane track might be constraining point tracks to
>>>>

>> That wouldn't be 3d, that'd still be based on homography estimation and
>> making so tracks fits this homography in a best way (well, difficult to
>> explain this in text, whiteboard would be much easier). At this point i
>> couldn't see why or how we'll reconstruct 3D from point tacks in that case.
>>

> It seems like something down this path should allow us to both get better
> and more reliable tracks, and more reliable camera solve.
>
> Which of these approaches do you think are easy-vs-hard with libmv/Ceres?
>
> 1) binding trackers together to help the tracker solve (maybe just
> homography)
>
> 2) telling the camera solver when a set of tracks are 3d planar, to help
> constrain the solver, and improve the relative positions of reconstructed
> 3d track locations in more rotation-dominant sequences
>
> 3) add a workflow like Mocha/AE, where a surface can be spline-marked and
> tracks are automatically managed within the surface.
>
> ...though when I was looking at this before, I was thinking just saving
> camera-reconstruction constraints (origin, floor, scale) in the marker
> would be nice, so they don't have to be re-applied every camera-solve
> attempt.

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin