[Bf-vfx] Plane Tracking naming

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 05:01:17 CEST 2013

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 7:45 PM, Keir Mierle <mierle at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am aware of this thread guys, and will comment in a day or so; currently
> swamped on other fronts. The tracker DOES track a plane by solving for a
> plane implied by 4 or more tracks.

I see. If I understand the conversation correctly, Sean's point is that
this functionality does not meet the VFX industry expectation for "planar
tracking", and that it should be called corner-pinning instead. Did I get
that right Sean?

Expectations for "planar tracking" are set by Mocha, which uses that term
to describe a higher-level construct where multiple perspective or affine
trackers are created for you in an arbitrary plane region, bound together
into a shared planar-constraint, and solved together (not individually as
in blender). That is the Perspective solution for every one of the trackers
in the plane must match not only it's local image distortion, but also the
planar constraint and the other tracks in the plane. Further, these tracks
can be automatically

I hope that recap is more helpful than confusing. Did I get it right Sean?