[Bf-vfx] Plane Tracking naming

François T. francoistarlier at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 00:58:29 CEST 2013

​ haven't tested it yet, but as far as I have seen the demo, this is not
quite a corner pin as well. It defines a plane by estimating a normal from
your tracks and deform the original normal of your plane as you defined the
init shape.
​So it looks like corner pin in simple example as they did in their demos,
but in extrem shot, that is not corner pin either. (or am I not getting
this planar tool ? )​

2013/8/12 Sean Kennedy <mack_dadd2 at hotmail.com>

> Hey everyone (especially Keir and Sergey),
>
> I'd like to propose that the name of the new plane tracking tool be
> changed to something like Corner Pin, along with the plane deform node
> becoming something like Corner Pin Deform node.
>
> My reasoning is based off of standards that have already become entrenched
> in the vfx industry. People hear "plane track" and think "planar track",
> which has already been established and defined by Imagineer Systems (
> http://www.imagineersystems.com/ ) as tracking a featureless object that
> moves as if it's a 3d plane in 3d space. Plane track implies that we are
> tracking a plane in space with a single track, rather than tracking 4
> individual corners of a plane.
>
> People get confused. Like this:
>
> http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?302914-Blender-getting-authentic-Plane-Tracker!&p=2439913&viewfull=1#post2439913
>
> And, amazingly, Blender can actually planar track. It would be great to
> save the tool names relating to "plane" and  "planar" for when those tools
> mature and become usable in the way they are in Imagineer's Mocha.
>
> (A single track set to Affine or Perspective actually tracks a plane. If
> we could then position the corner pin outline on a plane based of that
> single track, I would support calling that plane/planar tracking.)
>
> In the vfx industry, tracking 4 corners and deforming an image to fit
> those 4 tracks is called corner pinning, and calling it anything else not
> only confuses people who are familiar with other tools, but it may alienate
> some people who don't understand why we can't just call our tools what the
> rest of the industry calls tools. And with Imagineer winning a technical
> Oscar (
> http://blog.imagineersystems.com/2013/01/mocha-team-wins-academy-award.html )
> and supporting export to Nuke (
> http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/learn-mocha-export-to-nuke-workflow1/view ),
> they are very much defining the terms professional artists use and are
> familiar with. Corner pinning has been around for years, and this is
> definitely what this tool is doing.
>
> And I don't mean to keep comparing to Mocha, I definitely like that we're
> doing this our own way. I could just as easily point to After Effects'
> multiple corner pinning tools (corner pin and CC power pin,
> http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a9d3c597-7b8ba.html#WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a9d3c597-7b88a )
> and Red Giant's Warp tool, which is a corner pin tool with pretty much
> every option imaginable ( http://www.redgiant.com/products/all/rgwarp/ )
>
> I just think we should stick to conventional naming conventions. Artists
> who use more than one piece of software will certainly appreciate it and be
> able to pick it up much faster. I myself even thought Blender was going to
> be able to do Mocha-style planar tracking back when Keir released this clip
> [...]

François Tarlier
www.francois-tarlier.com
www.linkedin.com/in/francoistarlier