[Bf-vfx] OCIO branch

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Sun May 20 04:02:37 CEST 2012

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Brecht Van Lommel
<brechtvanlommel at pandora.be> wrote:
> It would be convenient if we could do it all on the fly, but my
> understanding is that not all OCIO transforms can run on the GPU. For
> example 3D LUTs are not supported, which is used for e.g. the ACES RRT
> + sRGB or spi-vfx sRGB conversion. Another concern might be
> performance for more complicated transforms.

Darn, fair enough. In any case keeping it explicitly as a cache
attached to whatever is being used to view the image (eg. image
editor) would be an improvement, rather than the rest of the
application having to be aware that there's a potential 8bit version
of the same thing attached to each image.

Either way, I can't understate the usefulness of building in some
simple exposure/gamma modification attached to the image editor that
happens in the display pipeline only (on the linear data before
display transformations of course). Invaluable for checking AOVs etc.