[Bf-vfx] Mango Samples with ACES via rrt_sRGB

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Thu May 17 00:20:56 CEST 2012

I can't say that applying a 2.2 gamma makes the images look clearly
better to me. Of course it brings back detail in the dark areas but
the colors also get washed out again. The difficulty with this stuff
is, how to verify that the conversion we are doing is right, i.e.
neutral?

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 11:43 PM, Troy Sobotka <troy.sobotka at gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 16, 2012 1:58 PM, "Guillermo Espertino (Gez)" <gespertino at gmail.com>
>> So my wild guess is: what if the conversion considered the inputs as
>> S-Gamut/S-Log instead of S-Gamut/Linear?
>
> Valid point and most certainly worth testing.

If I understand this right, you propose to let OCIO do the S-Log to
ACES conversion instead of the F65 software, and see if the result is
different than converting to ACES there directly? Could be worth a
try, to see if they are different, but I'm not sure what it will tell
us.

Also, my understanding is that the F65 has three color temperature
settings: 3200k, 4300k and 5500k. From the F65 manual I understand
that these are automatically taken into account from the RAW file when
doing the conversion and "neutralized". OCIO comes with presets for
converting from 3200K and 5500K S-Log to ACES. Not sure if anything
here could be causing issues.

By the way, I don't have the F65 software here at the moment, I'm not
at the Blender Institute, so can't test this stuff quickly this week.

Brecht.