[Bf-vfx] Normal Use Case for Masking

pete larabell xgl.asyliax at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 19:31:27 CEST 2012

Hey all,

Quick question:

In designing the rasterizer for the 2D mask editor, I see that I have
a choice to make.

Option-A.) I can rasterize any polygon whatsoever with a very
straightforward method. No problems. (this is how it works right now)

but...

B.) If the polygon (the mask) edges only intersect any given scan line
only twice (meaning enter poly... then leave poly... never re-enter
poly on this scan line) then the polygon could be rasterized at higher
speed. (can be implemented now, or added later, without

so...

Here is the question:

It is worth a slight performance hit to TEST the mask for
Option-B-Compliance, which if it DOES pass, makes it faster to draw,
or just skip it since "most of the time" the mask will fail the
Option-B-Compliance test anyway?

Not being a VFX guy I can't really judge what the typical use case is...

Any feedback would be welcome.

Cheers!
Peter