[Bf-vfx] Lens workflow diagram in Blender

François T. francoistarlier at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 22:55:48 CEST 2011

Here is an update with direct distortion at render time.

So to recap

Red flow :
What I would recommend in Blender.

Yellow/gold flow :
Its a more usual pipe used when the matchmove app is different from 3D
package or compositor. In B's this will come useful, when working with
external app as Gimp for instance or texturing,...

Gray flow :
it could be use when you are not planning on doing much compositing at the
end or very thigh schedules :p.
I guess this would use some sort of Lens Shader in the render engine (pretty
much like did LaMaison porting 3DEqualizer lens model to MentalRay for XSI
http://www.alamaison.fr/3d/lmWarpDistort/lmWarpDistort.htm)
Even though the rendering quality should be better, IMO, its really not
recommended for heavy VFX compositing. For instance if you are planning to
comp your render with some stock footage, this would mean applying
distortion to each of those stocks which will really slow down your comp and
making it more complicated. I believe it is better to distort all at once at
the end.

cheers,

F.

[image: BlenderLensWorkflow.png]