[Bf-vfx] Color spaces

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Thu May 26 04:05:10 CEST 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Xavier Thomas
<xavier.thomas.1980 at gmail.com> wrote:
> For display output, people having non calibrated display should use
> sRGB as display profile (sRGB should be the default display profile),
> other sould load a custom profile and select it for each display. To
> me, user preferences seems a good place for this.

It seems absolutely impossible to do any of this without getting to
display profiles, which obviously brings a dependency upon LCMS2 in
all probability. It is rather mandatory to have a display profile for
translation.

While I completely can see both sides of the 'Where to put the
profile', I would think that proximity _might_ play a role. If we can
visualize a dual head setup with a Rec709 head and perhaps an sRGB
head, would it make sense to have the Rec709 monitor be within the
(likely) area of the sRGB monitor?

Somehow I have to think that maybe Andrew's point of attaching it to
the viewer viewport makes sense. Or perhaps it is located in a central
color management area in the User Preferences and reflects changes to
and fro accessed from both?

With respect,
TJS