[Bf-vfx] MovieClip Data Elephant in Room

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Fri May 13 01:35:36 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Jeroen Bakker <j.bakker at atmind.nl> wrote:
> The issue is not if OCIO is not a good library, but on the technical
> side where is the best place to integrate the library in blender.
> Personally I like what OCIO does.

Fantastic to see you here Jeroen!

I am wondering if it is theoretically possible to provide a sort of
least intrusive and yet useful aspect from within the compositor? This
would be similar to Kier's approach for the first steps with libmv -
as minimal as possible and yet useful.

>From what I can see, we would need ICC / LUT support for input images
to get them from their source spaces and transforms into an agnostic
space. This would accommodate AdobeRGB, sRGB, Rec709, Rec601, as well
as PanaLog, RedLog LUTs etc.

Once there, we obviously need a way to get them out. A conversion node
likely makes the most sense here because it would grant the ability to
apply a creative LUT or a contextual LUT / ICC. This should provide
for creative work that allows the artist to see what the output would
look like for Rec709 HD space or a creative 3D LUT for look passes, as
well as even static image spaces such as AdobeRGB, sRGB, and their
ilk. Even soft proofing projection situations given a LUT / ICC
context.

Finally, it would seem that the UV Viewer window or a custom node
output viewer that would need allow for display profiles to be
attached to it. Alternatively, this could be a more global setting,
but I worry that with multi-head displays this would be an inferior
approach.

So three custom nodes to keep it isolated as possible? Is this
feasible? Can we keep the hard wired linearization and such out of the
mix with this sort of setup?

I am pretty sure that Xavier's and Matt's breadth of knowledge would
be extremely useful in this discussion.

Throwing it out there,
TJS