[Bf-vfx] MovieClip Data Elephant in Room

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Thu May 12 18:21:58 CEST 2011

François T.:
"I heard OCIO wasn't a good for Blender, didn't really understand why
and I don't if this is still valid"

I kick up the dust on this from time to time as it is a critical and
vital issue in Blender, and one that is sorely misunderstood.

At last check, the discussion in IRC was that there is a bit of a
labyrinthine code tangle on the imaging side, so it would need to be
implemented in a black box fashion. I was hoping we could make some
progress with the focus on 2D acquisition as it is, as you know,
_impossible_ to deal with footage without dealing with the Rec601 /
Rec709 issue.

In fact, it is impossible to deal with Blender exporting at a decent
level because of the sRGB trap.

Xavier Thomas:
"Last, but not least, Jeroen Bakker seems to have started OpenColorIO
integration work in his OpenCL compositing branch."

I poked him via email on this a while ago. I'm not sure if it is only
on his roadmap or if it is going to be included in earnest.

I believe Andrew Hunter here has some further evidence to suggest how
Blender's imaging pipeline has some issues with regards to the
reference ASC images.

It would be exceptional if more folks are aware of the color
management breakdown in workflow and we can slay this beast once and
for all. It is unfortunate that no GSOC proposals came in to work on
repairing this showstopper issue.

With respect,
TJS