[Bf-vfx] Blender data, big picture

pete larabell xgl.asyliax at gmail.com
Wed May 11 15:49:04 CEST 2011

> Let's punt on masks.
>

>> 4) new ID type CurveMask
>> - 2D in unified 0-1 space, so it maps everywhere
>> - editing allowed in compositor, spaceClip, etc
>> - curveMask compo nodes, texture, sequence strips...
>
> Can you expand on what this CurveMask is and is for? Perhaps I'm not
> understanding.

Hello,

To help clear this up, the CurveMask is a special type of 2d-only
curve, drawn right in image viewer, or new spaceClip, that can be
animated (like RotoBezier) and have it's data stored in a datablock.
This datablock will then be linked to a new composite node which will
quickly rasterize it and output a single channel "mask". It'll support
(for now anyway) white masks, black masks, combined masks (the
datablock could store multiple curves, each of their own black/white
type, and each with a Z-index property to establish order).

The CurveMask that I am building currently ALSO doubles up on every
CV, so you can pull out double edges anywhere you'd like to get the
variable feather... basically a double edged matte, which would
produce what the double edge matte comp. node did, but be easier to
use. This is how good mask drawing tools work in mainstream software,
and I already have the double edge matte comp. node code running quite
fast and stable, so adding it here wont be too hard.

ZanQdo and I have been working on this for a little over a month now,
and we'll have proposed UI and masking workflow proposal out very
soon.