[Bf-vfx] Blender camera tracking approach

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Mon May 9 00:36:43 CEST 2011

On May 8, 2011 11:03 AM, "Remo Pini" <remo.pini at avexys.com> wrote:
> One key requirement is the stable support of a wide variety of video
> input (and output) formats (i.e. the consumer stuff mp4, mov, xvid, avi,
> ... but also the more pro stuff like R3D, ProRES, DPX), otherwise, there
> will always be a transcoding step before and after Blender...

All are aware that both R3D[1] and Apple ProRes[2] are proprietary, closed
spec codecs[3]?

The great codec debate is a neverending one. Rallying around industry
standard lossless, open, high fidelity formats such as OpenEXR and DPX is
likely prudent, as well as already implemented within Blender[4].

While it may be convenient in some contexts, it would entail investing
tremendous effort and resources to reverse engineer and support closed /
proprietary codecs. This may lay outside of the current scope of the Blender
Foundation[5].

With respect,
TJS

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REDCODE
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProRes_422
[3] To avoid confusion as the quote included AVI and MOV, which are
obviously wrappers.
[4] This isn't to suggest that Blender's handling couldn't be improved.
[5] I make no claim to speak on behalf of the BF, and can only infer this.