[Bf-vfx] Blender camera tracking approach

Lorenzo Pierfederici lpierfederici at gmail.com
Mon May 9 00:22:17 CEST 2011

Tobi,

all the best with your effort!
I think that a detailed workflow like the one Tom posted is very important,
and it will help when it's time for gui/docs.

I'd suggest two more points based on what we do here:
- alongside 2c you can use a standard distortion chart (a special grid image
that you shoot with your camera on set at the same time as the actual
shooting)
- the system should allow for manually tweaking track points frame by frame:
there are scenes that you just can't track well enough and some manual
tweaking is often needed to fix some small slipping that on a theatre screen
would look very bad!

and keep in mind that lenses suffer not only from distortion but from color
aberration, too.

I agree with Francesco that the un/distortion process should leave options
open, in many cases you _want_ to degrade the cg render a bit to make it fit
better.
But (as long as one can choose) I think that the idea of integrating it into
a blender camera is very interesting! (and it could have many interesting
uses in animation, too)

good luck!
lorenzo