[Bf-vfx] Footage for Tracking

Keir Mierle mierle at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 03:04:36 CEST 2011

Unfortunately these are not good enough. To get really solid calibration,
you need:

   1. A checkerboard (turns out it is easy to very precisely locate the
   corners)
   2. Several views of the calibration grid at different angles; the
   perspective on the checkerboard should be very apparent (in addition to
   front-on views).
   3. Each shot of the checkerboard should try to cover as much of the field
   of view of the camera as possible, while still showing the full checker
   board
   4. The checkerboard and camera should be still (no rolling shutter for
   calibration please!)

#3 is important since the distortion tends to happen towards the edges of
the view, so if the grid only occupies the middle 25% of the view (like in
your examples) it won't produce a good calibration. Even with the full
autotracking that you get in the commercial packages, you can get superior
results if you properly calibrate your camera; especially for difficult
shots where there is ambiguity, etc.

Do you know anyone who might be willing to take a few shots of a
checkerboard?

Keir