[Bf-vfx] Blender's colour pipeline

j.bakker at atmind.nl j.bakker at atmind.nl
Mon Jul 18 13:10:43 CEST 2011

Hi Matt,

Thanks for this clear explanation! It gives me understanding about the
ideas behind blender's colour management. Possible steps could be:

a) Which CMS to use and why?
b) Link the chosen CMS to blender's image loading and writing (there has
been several discussions on OpenEXR compatibility the last week on IRC)
c) Attach to the display routines, replace colour management inside blender
d) Apply CM in other area's like compositor, color picker, multi-display
setup and others

a, b & c IMO is a project on its own. After that d could be a simple step.
A task that needs to be designed with care is the blender internal renderer
multilayer openexr (save buffers).

This project looks like a large undertaking to get it working in all areas
(but also with big benefits).

BTW I saw a compositor node that converted the internal color information
to rec709 and back again. If I understand correctly this needs to be
revisited?

Jeroen.