[Bf-vfx] Tomato camera sensor changes

Ejner Fergo ejnersan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 21:52:51 CEST 2011

Hi again Sergey,

> Main problem is in "default" use-case. In Blender we've got defined
> resolution and pixel aspect. So as soon as we've defined horizontal size of
> sensor, it's vertical size is defined automaticly.

This concerns the rendering in Blender, not the camera. As the Sensor
display option showed with the patch, the camera can have a larger
vertical FOV than what is rendered. Btw, this sensor display option
doesn't make sense without a sensor height.

> What we've discussed with Francois was that it could be useful to "lock" one
> of parameters and specify all the rest parameters which defines camera
> settings. It shouldn't be so confusing as it was before, but it still needs
> deeper thoughts which i haven't got time to dig deep into.

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean? "All the rest parameters"
in the camera settings is sensor dimensions (width/height). What is so
confusing about that? It's rather simple really, so what needs deeper
thought?

> Having access to vertical FOV isn't so big issue -- it easily could be
> read-only property which will be used by exporters.

The vertical FOV, as you know, is defined by the sensor height, so we
need to input this. Preferably the actual dimension as before, or with
a device aspect.

Why have the vertical FOV as a read-only property? Are importers not
as important (no pun..) as exporters? The Channel file format uses the
vertical FOV, so this should be able to be written to. The FBX format
also uses the vertical FOV both during export and import, so having
this as a read-only property is not so helpful.

> The most confusing this of that horizontal/vertical fov was then vertical
> fov made no effect on renderer and it's not so clear how to use it in
> general workflow.

Again, Blender internal render only cares about the horizontal FOV.
Why should the camera and IO with other apps be punished for that? I
really don't understand why you think it is confusing to have both
sensor dimensions available? We have presets, even a Blender one which
I added, for people who don't know/care what these values are. To
those who do know, both sensor dimensions are available for
practically all cameras (even sensors defined as 1/1.8", 1/3", etc.
have tables converting them to mm). General workflow will not be
affected for 99% of all Blender users. Tell me how otherwise.

> I'll think more about this things to the end of week.

Thanks, I really hope you revert back to the sensor patch. It had all
the basics we need: sensor_x/sensor_y + angle_x/angle_y

Best regards,

Ejner