[Bf-usd] Update after Blender Conference

Jeroen Bakker jeroen at blender.org
Mon Nov 7 14:35:16 CET 2022

Hi,

During and after the blender conference we talked to many companies,
artists and developers who are or want to get involved with USD. Here is a
brief catch-up and share of the information.

It was also great to hear that the design to use Collections to reference
USD files/assets, only load the assets that you want to work with inside
Blender, other assets can still be handled by Hydra in the same viewport.
And after modifying the asset/animation to export selective parts to an USD
layer is promising and supported by all.

Blender due to its open character, community and interest in the industry
can actually be a central component in an USD pipeline.

Materials are still a hot topic and a difficult nut to crack. It depends on
a studios pipeline how this can optimal work with available open standards
in a good understandable and maintainable way.

During the conference it became clear that there is a need for a project
lead on Blender side Overall design and patch reviewing process is not at
the level what is expected and needed. We are looking for someone to pick
up this role. If you know someone who would be an excellent fit, please let
us know!

Thanks to all who attended and other contributors as well for your work and
feedback.

Some general information about the USD project at Blender.

Main project page is: https://developer.blender.org/tag/usd/
The USD project is part of Pipeline Assets & IO module who do regular
meetings:
https://devtalk.blender.org/t/2022-10-20-pipeline-assets-i-o-meeting/26070
Online discussions/connection happens via the #pipeline-assets-io-module on
blender.chat

There are production USD files available on https://dpel.aswf.io/ for
testing and doing research and development. Of course next to that files
can be generated from our open films and other resources are mentioned in
the project page.

Jeroen