[Bf-usd] Blender USD importer status

Michael A Kowalski makowalski at nvidia.com
Fri Feb 12 17:03:25 CET 2021

Hello everyone,

As an update of the current USD importer status:

We currently have two branches for importer development, Tangent Animation's ta-usd-import (https://github.com/tangent-opensource/blender/tree/ta-usd-import) and usd-importer-T81257 ( https://github.com/blender/blender/tree/usd-importer-T81257).   Our plan is to combine these branches into a single code base, to consolidate features and avoid duplicate efforts going forward.

To that end, I've recently created a new usd-importer-T81257-merge branch that represents a merge of selected features from usd-importer-T81257 on top of ta-usd-import.  I will send a follow up email when the merge is complete (hopefully within the next couple of weeks), at which point we hope to continue with a thorough review process to facilitate an eventual upstream merge of the combined code.

As always, feedback and suggestions are welcome at any time.

Thanks,
Michael