[Bf-usd] Introducing myself...

Mark Tucker mtucker at sidefx.com
Thu Sep 24 16:05:43 CEST 2020

Hi everyone, I'm Mark Tucker, the leader developer on the "Solaris" projects at SideFX (our lighting environment, but also the centerpiece of our integration with USD). I was invited to this list by Sybren to be a resource for anyone here interested in how SideFX has integrated USD into Houdini, and the benefits and pitfalls of our approach.

I'm a very inexperienced fan of Blender, looking forward to seeing how USD can help be a better bridge between Blender and Houdini, but likely to ask the occasional newbie question. I'll jump in whenever I think I have anything useful to say, but also please call me out if there's anything you want to know where you think I could help.

I was inspired to finally write this introduction email because I had a conversation this week with Mark Wallman, an instructor at the University of Hertfordshire who is teaching a course that involves both Blender (for modeling) and Houdini (for FX and possibly lighting?). He had been hoping to use USD as the "universal" interchange format between various packages this year, but after some testing, he pulled back from this because the DCC support for USD wasn't where it needed to be for his uses. I don't know if anyone here knows/speaks to him, but he might have some useful input.

Anyway, nice to meet you all, happy to be here, and looking forward to where this all goes!

Mark