[Bf-usd] Bf-usd Digest, Vol 5, Issue 5

Brian Savery brian.savery at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 15:24:43 CET 2020

Hi Jan

> I also made a video showing the Cornell Box in Houdini Indie, setup for
> three render delegates, Karma, RenderMan 23.5, and Arnold:
>
> https://youtu.be/sKX5qU1APyk
>
> Top left is Houdini's viewport, switching renderers is like in usdview,
>
> select the render delegate and it takes over the viewport.
>
> Lower left is basically how the USD outliner would look like.
>
> I assume that this reflects how an exported USD file would be structured.
>
> Lower right is the Solaris context (stage) network. Basically you bring
> in geometry (e.g. as .obj files), add for each piece of geometry a
> material library (in this case a common material to refer to, which
> defines for each renderer a render specific material). Cameras and
> lights need to be defined in the same network. All other nodes just
> influence the way the USD file gets structured. This workflow is very
> specific to Houdini.
>
> Any ideas how that could look like in the current Blender user interface?

Yes we looked to do something similar in our Hydra addon.

Once choosing the Hydra render addon you have a choice to choose the render
delegate.

One can assemble the USD file in a Blender custom Nodegraph (called USD
from the window panel selection)

Also in the USD panel if you click on the "Item" side tab you can see the
output USD hierarchy.  We made a simple list for this but possibly could be
better as an outliner type widget?

Also the problem of sharing materials between a bunch of renderers is
tricky.  Obviously most renderers are not going to know about cycles
nodes.  So our plan is to translate cycles to materialx and use materialx
as a cross-renderer material solution.  Interested in other's thoughts here.