[Bf-translations-dev] i18n maintenance is on hold

Cheng-Chia Tseng pswo10680 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 05:01:58 CEST 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 4:25 AM, Bastien Montagne <montagne29 at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Hi fellow devs and translators,
>
>  From now on (at least until the situation has be clarified in one way
> or the other), I won't be doing any i18n maintenance anymore, as I was
> clearly asked by bl_ui (python ui code) owner to not touch this code
> anymore for i18n topics. I do not understand this reaction, but this
> obviously makes all further work in this matter worthless (you can't
> keep enhancing something by being only able to work on half of the
> stuff), py ui code is a nest for ambiguous and problematic messages (as
> they are usually very short).
>
> I will obviously keep doing the weekly updates of translation files
> (po's), and finish the development of the new py tools, as this at least
> won't crush anyone's toes (and yes, I'm aware related docs are outdated,
> so have to dedicate some time to those as well).
>
> Now the core question behind this is: if I have to ask permission to
> module owners each time I have to touch their code to fix a translation
> issue, I clearly consider this not OK. Chasing those issues already
> takes time, if I additionally have to always explain why I do this, and
> wait for the answer… just not worth the effort. Put in other words, I
> consider i18n a module on its own, for which I think I can claim some
> experience after one year and a half and hundreds of hours spent on it.
> If it is rather considered as a subset of ui module, I would rather see
> its ownership taken back by ui owner, that's all.
>
> I hope I made my point of view clear, without offending anyone. I just
> want the status of i18n to be clarified, so that I can decide whether I
> keep working on it, or if I switch to some other, less frustrating and
> more funny area of code.

What a sad news.

Bastien, you have been doing great for we translators. We are all
appreciate your hard work on fixing all kinds of problems on i18n for
us. It will be hard without your dedication on those issues. Thank you
very much! We owe you a lot.

Hope i18n issue will be taken more seriously in the future. That will
help Blender spread more widely and be used by everyone, in
everywhere.

> With best regards,
> Bastien Montagne (aka mont29)

Cheers,