[Bf-taskforce25] [Fwd: Re: Python/RNA high priority TODO's.]

Domino Marama domino at dominodesigns.info
Tue Sep 15 13:54:40 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 03:41 -0700, Campbell Barton wrote:
> But there's been no input on this from anyone else.
> any opinions on weather we should have a way that any python defined
> menu can be extended by other scripts?

I've a use case if it helps: When I start porting Primstar
(http://dominodesigns.info/project/primstar) to Blender 2.5, I want to
separate some functionality out of the Second Life specific stuff that's
more generally useful.

One of the ideas I'm playing with is "Add - UV Shape - [Shapes]". A UV
Shape is a function that takes a path (U) and profile (V) from 0.0 to
1.0 and returns a point in 3D space. So their would be a wrapper
function that produces a grid of X, Y faces for the given UV Shape
resulting in a nice gridded UV Map and a 3D surface.

As it's then just a case of adding math functions that define a surface
to expand [Shapes], I can see users wanting to extend my menus. So
ideally here [Shapes] would be a list of functions that the user could
add their own to, and selecting one from the menu would call the main
"UV Shape" option with that function as a parameter.

And maybe someone would want to include [Shapes] in a nurbs surface
generator..