[Bf-taskforce25] 2.5 Macros

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 12:02:37 CEST 2009

its doubtful useful macro's will make it into 2.5.0, so many of the
operators were added back with the main goal of making blender 2.5
usable, but for operators to be useful for macros, quite a bit of work
+ testing needs to be done over many areas.

Its not just missing props, missing exec functions (invoke only) and
context restrictions but many operators are not suited to an api. eg.
there are lots of *_toggle(); functions, which are not so useful from
python unless your sure of the current state.

as for the UI, this is easy if we have a display string as well as a
data string to do what you show in your pockup.
Currently the operators use the reporting api which would need another
string pointer.
There are many args (mainly noticeable with transform), the API has an
option only to show the args that are non-default values, this is used
for tooltips. However I like to have the operator settings
discoverable.
It also means changes in defaults wont break macros between minor releases.

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 1:00 PM, William Reynish <william at reynish.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've recently been playing with the new macro feature in 2.5, and
> while it shows some potential, it has enough issues that I consider
> this feature to not work yet.
>
> Since macros is one of the headline features for 2.5 I'm sure we all
> agree that it should work before we release.
>
> Ui issues aside, even the simplest test cases don't work properly,
> unfortunately.
>

> These are some of the issues I ran into:
> *Anything involving extrudes doesn't register
> *View-dependant operators such as Spin, Screw don't work
> *Transforms in normal direction store absolute (scene space)
> coordinates, making macros with transforms all but useless.
>
> This means you cannot do anything useful yet.
>
> Additionally the UI is really messy and it's hard to scan through the
> list of operators. With some relatively minor adjustments the UI could
> be made a lot clearer, like so:
>
> http://www.reynish.com/files/blender25/console_ui.png
>
> I hope this can receive some attention before release.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -William

- Campbell