[Bf-taskforce25] new approach for game logic UI.

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 13:47:51 CEST 2009

Hey Zaghaghi,

Benoit and I discussed how we could move to nodal logic in a way that
can be done without a huge effort, or at least broken up into smaller
steps.

Since I wont be able to spend time on this soon (6-8months or so), Its
not worth holding back the BGE UI to wait for this but personally Im
most interested in nodal logic rather then to improve the existing UI.
Since your looking at extending the BGE UI, thaught Id mention this as
a possible future direction.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Ideasman42#BGE_Nodal_Logic

An overview of how this could work.
- nodes are converted to a python script on launch. this python script
can run like py scripts currently do.
- the python script generator can be written in python (a detail but
gives an idea how it might work), rna for data access.
- existing classes kept as is.
- existing logic manager kept as is (initially at least).
- actuators have outputs added (/w pyapi access).
- pyapi doesn't need controller logic bricks, these nodes can be
converted directly into python code, only sensors and actuators C++
objects used.
- sensors and actuators have functions for enable/disable (/w pyapi access)
- pyapi can trigger actuators directly.
- python access to vectors, floating values can eventually be used as
node input/outputs.

This way existing logic can first be complied into a python script to
validate it without adding a node UI.
After that start wokring on a nodal UI.
>From the BGE's C++ perspective the logic manager is kept the same,
pyAPI only happens to have some more accessors functions, the BGE wont
care that the current py script happens execute node logic

If this works well the logic manager could be adapted to better fit nodal logic.
Its even possible not to use python eventually and generate some other
way that the BGE executes nodal logic.

--
- Campbell

- Campbell