[Bf-taskforce25] Proposal to follow PEP8 for all python scripting for Blender 2.5

Stani spe.stani.be at gmail.com
Thu May 28 15:29:49 CEST 2009

I think Blender 2.5 is a good occasion to adopt the PEP8 Style Guide
for Python Code, which is widely spread in the Python community. This
will enhance the chance to make code more readable, make it more easy
to share code and to collaborate. The PEP8 is the result of many years
of very experienced Python coders (Guido et alii.) and I can garantuee
it is hard to compete with them ;-)

This intention was already formulated in "Style and PEP-8" on
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5/PythonAPI

What I like to do is, make it official and even to encourage it for
anyone writing scripts in Blender. One of the important details of the
PEP8 is: "For new projects, spaces-only are strongly recommended over
tabs." (I think now both spaces and tabs are used, which will create
confusion in the end.) It might seem some trouble now to adopt to
this, but it will save much more trouble later.

Can we vote on this issue and depending on the outcome make the switch?

Stani

--
Phatch Photo Batch Processor - http://photobatch.stani.be
SPE Python IDE - http://pythonide.stani.be