[Bf-taskforce25] Modifier Layout Proposal

Jason van Gumster jason at handturkeystudios.com
Tue May 26 16:06:48 CEST 2009

Nathan Vegdahl <cessen at cessen.com> wrote:

> If this doesn't make sense for the simulation features, then I'd
> suggest that they don't belong in the modifier stack.

This actually makes the most sense to me. Not everything is or should
be a modifier. The simulation options are already huge and are only
going to expand in the future. Any solution that involves those options
in the stack is going to detract from the readability (glancability?)
of all the other modifiers (which will arguably be used more frequently
than simulation). I, for one, would not enjoy additional cumbersome
clicking or scrolling just to get a quick look at the "big picture" on
my model.

The way simulation relates to the stack is useful only in that you know
what level you're applying the simulation to (mirrored mesh, subsurfed
mesh, etc.) The current quasi-modifier system is a bit ugly, but it
does that job well. Alternatively, this could be an option in the
simulation features; that would require a dynamic dropdown where you
pick the modifier in the stack that you're applying the simulation to
(if you don't pick, it defaults to the last modifier in the stack). It
would work and it would be nicely predictable behavior. The downside to
this method compared to the existing method is that it's a little bit
tougher to see at a glance where in the stack the simulation is being
applied if it's not at the default location.

Take care.

  Jason