[Bf-taskforce25] RNA/Context, Buttons and 'Edit' Data

Joshua Leung aligorith at gmail.com
Fri May 22 03:34:27 CEST 2009

Hi all,

Now that the panels are starting to take shape, several issues I noticed a
while back while doing some RNA wrapping for Armatures are starting to show
up.

Many of our editable datatypes (i.e. meshes, bones, curves, etc.) all get
converted to an 'edit' datatype inside EditMode. However, RNA wrapping only
provides access to the SDNA/stored-data formats. There are several
consequences to this:
1) while in EditMode, any changes made via the Buttons Panel, or the
datablocks viewer will have no effect, and will even be lost after exiting
EditMode
2) when not in EditMode, some changes made may somewhat invalidate some of
the data by causing discreptancies between settings that should be linked
together (EditMode conversion takes care of this normally)
3) when not in EditMode, editing some settings will have little or no effect

So how does this affect buttons? Well, this effectively means that some
button panels are currently useless!

So, where do we go with this? Dynamically wrap editdata too, and override
access to stored data?

The biggest example of the problems here, is with the 'bones' panels.
Really, this should never directly refer to the data stored in the
armatures, but instead point to PoseChannels (in Pose Mode), or EditBones
(i.e. one of the 'edit' data-wrappers) in EditMode.

Joshua