[Bf-taskforce25] 2.5: how to help out right now

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Mon Mar 23 12:20:05 CET 2009

Hi Sven,

On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 17:43 -0400, Sven von Brand wrote:
> > RNA is a wrapper around Blender's data structures, used by the UI code
> > to generate buttons, the python API, and the animation system. All data
> > that we want to display with the new 2.5 UI code needs to become RNA
> > wrapped.
> >
> > Pick an item from "Help Wanted" on this page, and I can help get you
> > started:
> > http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5/RNATasks
>
> I would like to help working in DNA_texture_types.h, hope you can help
> me get started.

Assuming you have checked out and built Blender 2.5,
source/blender/makesrna/intern/rna_texture.c is the file you need to
edit. As an example, I added the CloudsTexture type, check the diff to
see how this works:
http://projects.blender.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/branches/blender2.5/blender/source/blender/makesrna/intern/rna_texture.c?root=bf-blender&r1=19381&r2=19380&pathrev=19381

The work is adding all the different texture types and their properties.
To verify that it works, in the Outliner, Datablocks view, you can
browse to Textures (assuming a texture was added to the file in 2.4).

The technical docs for RNA are here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5/RNA#Defining_Structs_and_Properties

It's probably best to learn from example by checking other defined
properties and structs. Also, use the buttons code from 2.4 for
reference and copy the tooltips from there. It's the texture_panel_*
functions in buttons_shading.c:
https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blender/trunk/blender/source/blender/src/buttons_shading.c

Thanks!
Brecht