[Bf-taskforce25] Mockup note

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Mon Mar 16 18:16:34 CET 2009

Hi,
robcozzens at gmail.com (2009-03-14 at 2341.17 -0700):
> Lining things up can be an issue though... in the current "outside" mockup,
> some of the labels in the dupliframe section are too far from their buttons.
> They could be "right-aligned" but then there would be a jagged left edge,
> and that might not look good.

That approach is pretty old, another typical name is "colon align"
when the labels have colons at the end. Mac interface has lots of
examples of that, Apple documented it (with other rules about spacing,
sharing sizes over different widgets, etc).

OTOH, I back "texts inside the buttons", with code to cut first the
label than the value. The season is simple: bigger input zones.
Zooming out and checking tooltips a couple ot times will allow
learning the contents and then let muscle memory take over, but size
is a thing you have forever.

> Also, the embossed text is a little hard to read.

Speaking about effects of decoration and position on readability, some
experimental comparisons of an idea I have been pondering for some
time, the 2*2 posibilites for outliner (background one also applicable
to other zones, like file dialogs), in no special order:

http://www.infernal-iceberg.com/blender/gui/zebra-tree_ce4bf5.png
http://www.infernal-iceberg.com/blender/gui/zebra-tree_6d56e9.png
http://www.infernal-iceberg.com/blender/gui/zebra-tree_93c1a6.png
http://www.infernal-iceberg.com/blender/gui/zebra-tree_c116f2.png