[Bf-taskforce25] Mockup note

William Reynish william at reynish.com
Mon Mar 16 10:27:03 CET 2009

On 15 Mar, 2009, at 12:13 PM, Matt Ebb wrote:

> Anyways, for the reasons I mentioned previously, I'm still not too
> keen on the properties_text_outside.png mockup. I was thinking though
> what possible modifications could be made to keep the advantages of
> both methods:
> * title spatially separated from value, for alignment, truncation etc
> * large available space for manipulating the button
> * clear visual connection between title and value, so you know exactly
> what title a property has at a glance.
>
> I did a few quick ideas here:
> http://mke3.net/blender/interface/controls/number_fields_title01.png

That's great - these mockups show how having text outside the buttons
can work. The first one is the least visually distracting to me, and
clearly communicates the fact that it's the number you interact with
and not the text.

You could even extend this style for use in boolean values, ie. check
marks, where the value (the check mark) becomes visually connected.
This also helps communicate the fact that you can click on the entire
area to enable or disable these controls, like this:

http://www.reynish.com/files/blender25/checkmark_buttons.png

I think for the sliders we'll want to keep the text inside the widget
though, because the drag-able area is then is big as possible, plus
you get more precise visual feedback and precision. With sliders, the
main thing you are focused on is usually some kind of percentage
anyway, so I think that's fine.

Cheers,

-William