[Bf-taskforce25] search-based workflow

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 09:16:04 CET 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 3:15 AM, joe <joeedh at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have to admit, I'm used to working *much* faster then typing in
> little mini-script commands like that.  It'd drive me crazy :)
>
> Joe
>
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 6:01 AM, Wahooney <wahooney at wahooney.net> wrote:
>> I use ubiquity (one of the projects Aza is involved in) and a similar
>> natural language based input for blender may be a cool idea, ie. Hitting a
>> key combo (Ctrl-U for the sake of arguement) and typing:
>>
>> "create cube 2, 3, 2 at 1, 5, -10"
>> or
>> "move selection to 5, 4, 3"
>> or
>> "move selection by -1, 3, 0"
>> or
>> "scale cube* by 1, .5, 1"
>> etc.
>>
>> This could probably end up as a script though and could include most if not
>> all of Blenders new operators.
>>
>> Ton Roosendaal wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Was googling around, and found this new startup co-founded by Aza
>> (son-of) Raskin.
>> http://humanized.com/enso/
>>
>> Entirely search based tools/actions. Even follows our concept "only use
>> sticky modes while user actively does something".
>>
>> Their search tool works with holding CapsLock, probably they have a way
>> to disable it?
>>
>> Another great post from Aza, it's very close to our work currently:
>> http://humanized.com/weblog/2008/07/18/designing-without-modal-overlays/
>>
>> And some of his work on Mozilla:
>> http://humanized.com/weblog/2008/07/14/ubiquitous-interfaces-
>> ubiquitous-functionality/
>>
>> -Ton-

not exactly the same but I tried using the python console for this, by
parsing input rather then running python functions directly
Its quite easy to add things like...
sel = Cube*
sel += Circle*
sel.x += 10.2
sel2 = sel.copy()

...more of a shorthand, posted some examples ages ago but nobody
seemed that interested in extending it or writing their own.
--
- Campbell