[Bf-taskforce25] NLA system thoughts

Mango Jambo moraesjunior at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 14:53:22 CET 2009

Hi,

Have 3 questions/features request/sugestions about the new NLA:
-NLA like animation layers
Animating Yo Frankie, I did try to enalbe NLA with a Walk action for example
and add / edit another mixed action. The problem was when I move some bone,
it get weird moves, like doubling, or sum of 2 mixed action, I don't know. I
was thinking to make it like animation layers, non-destructive way: little
changes, but preserving the main action (walk in this example). But if NLA
will work like VSE, wow! Mixing possibilities like add, subtract, etc, will
be a big step. I like what William said about animators work flow. I just
wanna add the possibility to create an action, mix it with a main one and
than edit it to make the changes. I don't know if WIlliam said the
possibility to edit an action separately or like I said, but would be a
great feature;

- baking NLA into an action;
After that, the possibility to bake the NLA into an action. It looks a
simple thing, I don't know. Maya does it really bad, inserting key frames on
EVERY single frame!! Impossible to make changes after!

- Objects animation on action;
It is more like a doubt and may be a feature request.Today actions works
only for armatures. The new Graph Editor and Dope Sheet rocks!! But, how it
will works with the NLA? Will be possible to add objects animation from Dope
Sheet like the armature actions? For example: I am animating a man carring a
tray with fruits, something like 20 fruits. There is some shots, and I was
thinking about to make some simple cycles to make my job faster. The
possibility to set one action for all the fruits and the tray (like it being
a character), could be great. I know I can do an armature to make it
possible today, but what do you think to make  a set of object a new
character ( or by group, I don't know) and that new "character" (without
armature) could have the actions for those objects like for armatures? Is
that a good idea or no, if we need a character set, work with armatures.

Moraes Junior - aka mangojambo
3D Artist Animator