[Bf-taskforce25] Wintercamp agenda

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Mar 3 14:40:10 CET 2009

Hi,

We've reviewed the topics on the wiki, and roughly divided all
discussions and work in three categories, each for the days of the
workshop;

1) Concepts and the big picture

First day we'll try to map out the basics and the big picture, and give
everyone the time to communicate their issues well. We'll do a review
of the current state of code and designs as well.
A good excercise would also to go over a couple of real bottlenecks in
current Blender; like the complex amounts of steps you sometimes have
to do for simple things (all the steps for how to get a UV texture
mapped on a face!).

Result should be a list of design topics we will further go into the
2nd day.

2) Design topics

This is still a too long list to get real structure for now; that'll be
a nice topic for tomorrow to refine. At least three main issues have
popped up;
- UI design level; communicating, navigation, modes, active/selection,
etc
- Code issues; operators/rna, api access levels, future proof design
for nodifying tools/operators.
- Python api design, also related to the above ones

This day we might also split in smaller groups or individual sessions
to get design proposals done, to be presented later.

3) Proposals and focus

- get a good list of what the priorities for development should be, and
which topics can be optional or postponed
- come up with as many design proposals we can find consensus for; and
define how to present it
- roadmap / planning proposal, todo lists.

If there's time left (and we think so :) we'll also spend time on
rendering topics; especially material/texture/shader stuff, shader
languages, nodes, and structuring the render pipeline. Related to this
is of course support for - or integration with - third party renderers.

-Ton-