[Bf-taskforce25] Keyboard Shortcuts Proposal

Ben Cox ben_cox_21 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 23 12:59:41 CEST 2009

As several people have mentioned here, there appears to be an issue for
newcomers to Blender in that they may be attempting tutorials or be being
given information that uses a different keymap to their own. I'm going to
chuck out an idea that came to me that may help solve this - what do you
think?

The idea involves writing a web module, easily available at blender.org so
that anyone can use it in their own site. When writing their tutorial, the
author writes operations, rather than explicit button-presses. For example,
let's say that the method chosen to implement this was by an XML parser of
the "bl" namespace. Your tutorial might run something like:

"Hit <bl:key value="extrude" /> to start extruding, drag to the left by one
unit and <bl:key value="operation-finalize" /> to confirm."

As opposed to:

"Hit E to start extruding, drag to the left by one unit and left-click to
confirm."

When a user visits the site, they have the option, by clicking on a link, to
upload their personal keymap file, which can be exported from Blender. The
server takes this file and either stores the associated map as database-held
user preferences (if the site has a login) or as a cookie.

Then, as the source of the requested page is being parsed, the <bl:key />
tags are replaced by their associated key-presses. If no keymap file has
been uploaded or otherwise indicated, then the default Blender key-presses
are used. Otherwise, they are replaced with those held in the keymap,
allowing each user to see a different version of the tutorial.

I hope I've explained this in at least a slightly cogent way - please say if
not and I'll try to rephrase it! What do people think about it?

Ben