[Bf-taskforce25] Keyboard Shortcuts Proposal

Eclectiel L eclect25 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 23 09:54:54 CEST 2009

In the case of mouse selection (not much for hotkeys map) I'm
rather conservative, for some of the already exposed reasons,
like no conflicts with widgets, same type of selection for bones
when doing weight painting, distributing tasks over different
fingers, two fingers (middle+ring) doing the selection task which
is one of the most repeated tasks.

Although there are good points from those who want the LMB
alternative:
- Consistency with other apps.
- Tablet usage may be uncomfortable.
- Changing between apps that use a different mouse configuration
may make memory muscle suffer a bit.

Those are good points but I would prefer a different approach to
tackle them:

- For consistency with other apps (and older Blender versions),
the alternative of having hotkeys maps presets that mimic other
software I believe helps a lot with this issue.
An option could be to be able to apply only part of a preset, for
instance bring all XSI modelling hotkeys but keep all others the
same as 2.5 default. Or bring window navigation only, etc.

In this regard I'm not too conservative. I understand that teaching
may become a bit difficult, but this change of the default map will
happen just once, and I guess it will remain that way for long time.
I would focus on making the most sane key map / mouse, regardless
of other maps, letting that compatibility / friendly consistency, be
handled by the full / partial maps presets.

- For tablet troubles, being mouse and pens such different input
devices, I did like the proposal of telling Blender if we are using
a mouse or a tablet, and Blender adjusting its settings to the
most convenient for each.

- The quick change between apps issue. That's difficult to solve
completely. Memory muscle always suffers a bit when changing
apps, and trying to be consistent with different apps may end up
in something that is not either completely friendly with newcomers
nor actual users.
I guess maps presets or partial presets may help here, although
I think is expectable to have differences. So for this the priorities I
would choose would be:
1st. Most sane map.
2nd. Similar to actual Blender, if doesn't interfeer with the most sane.
3rd. Similar to other apps, if doesn't interfeer with the previous.

In case the RMB remains as the selection button, here is an
alternative for LMB functionality:
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3774/lmbandpreselectionhighl.png

It would replace the cursor placement, changing it
to ModifierKey+LMB.

Cheers!

P.S.: congrats to William for the initiative of bringing up this complex
and delicate subject.

Eclectiel.