[Bf-taskforce25] Keyboard Shortcuts Proposal

William Reynish william at reynish.com
Mon Jun 22 23:48:10 CEST 2009

Hi teachers,

For teaching in general, customizability is actually always a burden.
It means that you can't just say 'this is how it works', but instead
you have to say 'this is how it can work if you set it up like this'.
This is true for keymaps, for the GUI layouts, or any type of
customizability.

This has especially large ramifications for book writers - you can no
longer write 'press W'. Instead you have to write 'Make a subdivision
(W)', but this is probably preferred anyway.

For the whole teaching and learning process, it's important that the
defaults are very good, as you can't expect users, who know nothing
about a certain piece of software, to customize it before even knowing
it yet. Also, our software should work really nicely out of the box,
without requiring long setup procedures to get it working acceptably.

For all users, teachers, students, pros etc, changes are also annoying
- you are used to one way of working, and changing things around means
some amount of re-learning.

But at some point you have to take a look at all the stuff that's been
added over the years, and clean things up. It's the only way we can
ship software that's as good as we can possibly make it.

For those who want to avoid this re-learning process, I'm sure we'll
ship a 'Classic' keyboard layout, identical to the keymap found in 2.49.

Cheers,

-W