[Bf-taskforce25] Keyboard Shortcuts Proposal

Alberto Torres kungfoobar at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 15:51:50 CEST 2009

2009/6/22 William Reynish <william at reynish.com>:

> It's also good to think about tablets and laptops where right-clicking
> is not always that easy and direct.

On laptops, without a proper mouse, I don't see how blender would be
usable even with LMB selection.

On tablets, I would add a special tablet mode: LMB for selection,
RMB+LMB drag to rotate (I've found it's very difficult to use RMB/MMB
as buttons and would be easier to use them as modifiers of LMB) and
some way of making gestures... On tablet PCs, maybe you don't have
access to the keyboard, or more probably have access to some special
keys (I've used a tablet with ONE such key), which can be mapped as
shift, ctrl. Maybe also enabling the "drag immediately" option but I
would enable that if I don't have easy access to undo.

> I've mostly heard to opposite argument. The more you have to use you
> *fingers* for clicking, the more likely you are to get a tennis elbow.
> The more you alternate between left and right clicking, you train your
> fingers to do the clicking work and not the hand. This is one of the
> reasons Macs used to ship with single-button mice - to alleviate
> ergonomic issues.
>
> I'll investigate this some more though. Do you have any links to
> support this concern?

I've found that clicking with the middle and ring fingers I need less
effort or it's harder to get tired. Aside from RMB select, we have LMB
confirm. If we select with LMB, we also confirm with LMB, so RMB would
be much less used and therefore we put much more strain to the index
finger. Also, it's easier to make mistakes selecting and confirming
with the same button.