[Bf-taskforce25] Keyboard Shortcuts Proposal

Jason van Gumster jason at handturkeystudios.com
Mon Jun 22 14:15:36 CEST 2009

Hello,

My concerns echo Pablo's pretty closely, but I will actually express
some issues with the mouse buttons. I feel it's way too heavily
weighted on the left mouse button. Your proposal doesn't cover
confirm/escape behavior on the mouse. Assuming that remains as-is, that
puts five functions on the left mouse button. I'm on Blender a lot, for
long stretches of time. Excessive left-clicking can and does lead to
tennis elbow. Furthermore, right-click select is actually idea for
tablet use. Please keep these things in mind.

Helping new users is an admirable goal (trust me, I spend a lot of time
with new users) but my impressions of 2.5 is that it's purpose is to
improve the experience of existing Blender users moreso than new users.
I'm not keen on using conventions for the sake of conventions. The
current system *does* work. There are some consistency issues, sure
(namely Lasso select), but it fits the left-confirm/right-escape
paradigm and it's extremely effective for extended use.

That's my piece on this. Hopefully I don't stir up a hornets nest on
this, but I feel more consideration needs to be had on this.

Take care.

  Fweeb