[Bf-taskforce25] Explorability concerns for our UI

joe joeedh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 05:25:55 CEST 2009

What with all the UI discussion going on, I think we're forgetting
about explorability.  While explorability isn't vitally important, I
think we can and should improve this quite a bit for 2.5.

Some points I can think of off the top of my head:

1. We may want to consider have the buttons window tabbar display the
names of the tabs.
    This would probably require a multilevel tab bar, and of course we
do have tooltips, so it may
    not be necassary.
2. Pie menus; if we have them, we can create nice contextual menus
that almost (or as) fast as
    hotkeys, muscle-memory wise.  Even better, they could be defined
by python, and people could
    write custom menus (like they do in maya).  I think this would
allow some hotkey popups to be
    clearer (e.g. wkey could become a nested menu, with e.g. verts,
edges, faces submenus).
3. I think it'd be a good idea to use pie menus for the header menus;
I know this is nonstandard
   as hell, but I really, really hate long header menus (in any app),
*especially* when there's submenus.
   If we're going to use pie menus anyway, why not get the benefits
for header menus as well?

Those aren't all points for explorability, but I think they are
related, and would allow a more explorable UI (e.g. using pie menus
allows putting everything in header menus, without the pain of deeply
nested menus that e.g. I hear 3ds max has).

Joe