[Bf-taskforce25] unique integer ids for ID types

Nathan Letwory jesterking at letwory.net
Fri Jun 12 00:54:16 CEST 2009

2009/6/11 Toni Alatalo <antont at kyperjokki.fi>:
> Nathan Letwory kirjoitti:
>> when working on dbblender, and that is precisely ensuring that there
>> won't be ID block conflicts across files.
>>

> what about keeping the part of the current mechanism that the file in
> which the data is is part of the id? so full id would be filename+idnum.
>
> granted, i can imagine it can be somehow tricky with dbblender and
> perhaps other such non-file-oriented storage solutions like networked
> servers ala verse and opensim .. where you may have data coming in from
> multiple files, perhaps from multiple users on multiple compus, to a
> kind of global store.

I'm not saying that the library part should be changed, just the usage
of the datablock name. We still then could use the current way of
linking and all that.

ID.name[24] = datatype ID (2-3 bytes) + UUID (16 bytes)
Then there is still ID.lib->filename and the entire mechanism we
already have. Only difference would be where the user defined name for
a datablock would reside.

/Nathan