[Bf-taskforce25] Official announcement on Siggraph?

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Thu Jul 30 20:28:01 CEST 2009

Hi,
ton at blender.org (2009-07-30 at 1333.27 +0200):
> You know, the press loves good statements, and at the Siggraph exhibit
> we'll have a lot of good attention. We will print nice 'spec sheets'
> for Blender 2.5, and spread an official press release too.
[...]
> "The first release of the 2.5x series is expected to be available in
> october 2009."
[...]
> Sounds like a plan? Serious objections should be posted quick, we will
> make our sheets and press releases sunday, in New Orleans.

You should make sure a 2.50 does not end in similar way than KDE 4.0
up to 4.2 (and some would say 4.2 included, as things have not reached
the same level of 3.5.x in some areas).

To put it in few words: do not give the impression that it is a final
product and will replace previous versions at launch day.

In KDE case, people found out the thing wass not user ready, but was
more "for core developers" even if that big four and zero looked
pretty inviting for everyone, and then "developers in general" and
next "bleeding edge users" to the point that some that want "to get
work done" are staying with KDE 3.5. So they seem to have crawled with
a nasty storm around, with users complaining about bugs and missing
features, instead of getting the same path covered but with better
feelings for everyone.

Sorry if that sounds like a party pooper, but learning from others'
experiences is a good thing. There are plenty of other rocks were to
stumble upon.

GSR